The Queen Bee Networking Guide to Job Searching
Finding a job is not the most fun thing in the world, but here are a few tips I'll share with you that I'm utilizing to make it work for me:
- Determine where to put your stinger. Set goals/target job search focus on positions of career interest.
- Drip a little bit’o honey. Focus on strengthening your skills, qualifications, and current experience that is applicable to reaching that goal position and appealing to recruiters.
- Get your stripes on. Create your marketing materials- keep in mind brand consistency across all points of contact with potential employers (resume, business cards, email signature, LinkedIn profile, blog or personal website) Use consistent descriptions, fonts, colors, etc.
- Recruit some worker bees. Use your networks. Reach out first to your contacts in the industry you are focused in. Then to people you know in companies you would like to work for. Let your network work for you. Ask for referrals and recommendations. Some people may be reached easier via phone, some email or social network so play it by ear. It’s always best to get a one-on-one meeting if possible so that you have their full attention.
- Remember to check your honeycombs. Once you apply for every open position of interest on the job boards, don’t stop there. Use your SOCIAL networks! Search LinkedIn groups for discussions and open jobs. Search hashtags on twitter for your city, industry, and job title.
- Buzz around the hive. Get out and about. Attend industry networking events. Volunteer in your community. Talk to everyone. You never know where your next lead will come from. You could make a game of it by challenging yourself to get two leads per event and shoot to beat your own score.
This queen networking bee is pretty certain that you will find sweet success if you stick to this strategy. In fact, I’m testing the theory myself right now! Connect with me on LinkedIn to share connections, resources, and ideas.
Got some honey sweet tips of your own to share?